Need superior IT support engineers? Outsourcing IT support to the Philippines will give you the best service and good culture-fit with great value so you can scale your team as needed. Here’s what you need to know…
Back in the late 1990s and early 2000s, when the BPO industry first emerged in the Philippines, it was built around customer service roles.
One of those roles was that of technical support. So the Philippines has a long and well-respected track record in providing offshore tech support talent (for both hardware and software). Indeed, there are now approximately 800,000 BPO employees involved in customer service and technical support (voice) and close to 100,000 employees supporting pure IT processes.
But recently the role of technical support has branched, somewhat. Now, in addition to standard technical support specialists, many companies are hiring technical support engineers in the Philippines. Tech support engineers differ from standard tech support, in that they don’t just provide customer support; they’re also able to design processes, and manage/maintain tools related to the product or service being provided to consumers. (Tech support engineers do, however, often provide regular tech support too.)
Technical and IT Support Engineer Experience
In our experience hiring for this type of role, tech support engineers in the Philippines are usually Tier 2 or Tier 3 level technical support specialists. Technical support roles normally progress from entry level to subject matter experts, and this progression is often accelerated by their employers, who provide dedicated technical upskill training for candidates.
This is an entry level position, usually supporting one type of product/technology, for example, mobile or telco technical support.
Usually only tech support specialists
Knowledgeable in two or more types of products or technologies, and can support multiple types of business-to-consumer (B2C) transactions.
May be tech support engineers
Has knowledge and experience supporting a wider range of products or technologies. Tier 3 tech support specialists are considered subject matter experts who can handle escalations and, in some cases, also business-to-business (B2B) transactions.
May be tech support engineers
Technical support tools
Technical support engineers tend to use tools that are developed internally by their employers – customer relationship management (CRM) tools, ticketing, incident reporting systems, and so on. Employers provide comprehensive training on the use of these tools, as well as communication platforms (e.g. phone hardware, chat and email) during onboarding training.
Save up to 70% on labor and occupancy costs
Because living costs are so low in the Philippines, labor and occupancy costs are too. We can employ and accommodate fully qualified, very experienced technical support engineers in the Philippines to grow your team for up to 70% less than you’d pay in your local employment market. It’s why tech support outsourcing in the Philippines just makes good business sense.
Tips for employing technical support engineers in the Philippines
- It takes 7-8 weeks to hire a technical support engineer in the Philippines.
- Technical support engineers have average communication skills compared to customer service ones as they often communicate instructions and troubleshooting steps. Soft skills are not a priority for most employers hiring such a role.
- Generally, this is an intermediate to senior level role, with at least 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Thanks to their seniority and experience, tech support engineers can work under minimal supervision and can be a go-to subject matter expert for junior members or the team.
- A technical support engineer may be exposed to a single type of product or technology that he/she has mastered over time.
Top 5 universities for technical support engineers
Since today’s generation is very tech-savvy and highly-adaptive, an IT degree is no longer required to become a successful technical support engineer. Nevertheless, the number of Filipino IT graduates is growing and big BPO companies are employing them straight from college, as this makes it much easier to provide technology training.
According to the Commission on Higher Education, more than 70,000 Filipinos graduate with an IT degree every year. Much of the tech support outsourcing in the Philippines today is supply by the following top schools producing IT graduates.
Sample technical support engineer profiles
- Visual Basic, C, Perl, Python, ITIL, and Project Management
- Office 365 Exchange (Online) Administration
- Legal Practice System Administration (TimeSolv and Amicus)
- Mobile device configuration and troubleshooting
- Windows Server 2008 and 2012 Administration
- Active Directory 2003 Users and Computers administration
- Exchange Server 2010 and Office 365 User and Shared Mailbox administration
- MS Lync (Skype for Business) administration
- Citrix and VMware administration and troubleshooting
- Delta Data Warehouse and ECM Documentum access administration
- Oracle 11i and R12 access administration and troubleshooting.
- Information Security Engineer
- IT Support
- IT Service Desk Analyst
- Software: VERITAS NetBackup, Backup Exec and System Recovery, Microsoft Office applications, AppDynamics, ASG products (Workspace, Zena), Relational databases (SQL, Oracle), SharePoint, Putty, WinSCP
- Environments: Windows, UNIX, AIX, Linux, Java Enterprise Edition
- Systems Administrator
- Systems Engineer
- Software Engineer(SAP FICO Support)
- Network Technology (Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN), cabling structure)
- Able to operate/troubleshoot/configure equipment such as modems and personal computers.
- Knowledgeable in various operating systems/software applications
- Operating Systems: Basic UNIX, MS-DOS, Windows 3.11/9x/2000/XP/W7
- Software Applications: Basic Programming, Turbo Pascal, Turbo C, MS Office, My SQL application & MS SQL. Nortel DMS Switch and Lucent 5ESS switch
- Technical Support
- VOICE Engineer
- System Consultant – System Analyst & Programs
Need a technical support engineer or IT support team in the Philippines?
Since our inception in 2006, MicroSourcing has become one of the biggest providers of offshoring solutions in the Philippines. With over 4,000 employees, 6 delivery centers and close to 200 clients, we can help you build a dedicated team in the Philippines, regardless of the roles and level of specialization you require. We have more than 13,000 technical support profiles in our candidate database, and we’ve employed more than 160 technical support engineers in the Philippines for our clients since 2011.
Ready to start your tech support outsourcing in the Philippines or want to find out more about our technical support engineers? Call +1 888-731-0023 today or send us an email to discuss your company’s technical support needs. You’ll have your offshore technical support engineer(s) up and running in as little as 7 weeks.
HIPAA & PCI DSS compliant