Looking for an expert content moderator in the Philippines? Or planning to grow your team of content moderators and managers? Here’s what you need to know before you make your first hire…
As the size of your social media following grows, moderating your page’s content becomes incredibly time-consuming. Your customers are using social media 24/7 to contact your business, whether that’s to post questions, send direct messages, post comments or share photos.
No doubt you’ve got to the point where your in-house marketing people can’t keep up with the traffic by themselves, but you’ve found the cost of employing content moderators onshore is prohibitive.
One simple way to manage the 24-hour constant stream of posts – in an affordable way – is to outsource content moderation and hire a skilled content moderator in the Philippines.
Book a Free Consultation
Want to outsource a content moderator – or a team of moderators – in the Philippines?
Content moderator roleA content moderator’s role is to:
- Maintain the reputation of your business
- Promote a strong and positive community for your brand
- Reply to customer questions on your social media posts, blogs and forums
- Protect your social media page’s users from inappropriate content or harassment
- Use software to monitor content for certain words or image types, then make human judgments about the content
- Determine if a user’s post meets the guidelines of the platform and the group
- Remove offensive posts, offensive language, and spam comments.
- Facebook posts and comments, including video, images and text
- Instagram images, stories and text
- YouTube videos
- Forum posts
- Product or service reviews
- Shared or linked articles in social media posts
- Blog comments.
The more content your business produces across its platforms, the more comments, replies and links you’ll need to monitor. In fact, in an active and thriving online community, your engagement could add up to many thousands of posts each day, all of which need to be monitored. So if you’re finding your onshore solution isn’t up to this high-volume demand, it might be time to outsource your content moderation to the Philippines.
Content moderator experience
Quite a bit of your content moderators’ time will be spent fielding customer questions like “What are your opening hours?” (even when it’s clearly marked on your website!) and monitoring cheerful banter between members.
But one important thing to remember is that some of the content on your social media pages and groups can, inevitably, be negative comments about your business or offensive comments about other members of the group.
That’s why you need a few experienced or senior moderators on your team; to take care of challenging content dilemmas, and make tough decisions about banning inappropriate users.
A skilled content moderator in the Philippines knows how to tactfully defuse a cranky customer. There’s a real art to replying to an unhappy customer’s comment or negative review in a way that could resolve the situation as a win for your business.
They’ll also make judgment calls on which images and comments deserve to be deleted for violating the platform’s rules or the page’s rules (such as obscene photos, hate speech, defamatory comments, or bullying of other members).
As a result, the role of content moderator takes a special type of resilient person. You’ll benefit from taking your time to get to know candidates during the interview process to make sure they’re the right fit – and the right balance of junior and senior levels – to achieve your business goals.
Content moderators are categorized into 3 levels, based on years of experience:
- Junior – A junior content moderator has 6 months to 1 year of relevant work experience.
- Intermediate – An intermediate content moderator has 2-3 years of relevant work experience.
- Senior – Senior ones have 3+ years of relevant work experience.
- A team helps you manage the 24-hour nature of social media with a 24-hour roster
- Senior moderators can help with tricky content decisions, and teach junior moderators.
Content moderation tools
Content moderation strategy combines human-powered and automated systems of moderation. There are several software programs that help content moderators to find and highlight content that might be inappropriate. But the technology isn’t perfect, so the process still needs human judgment.
Some common tools used when outsourcing content moderation are:
Save up to 70% on labor and occupancy costs
Because living costs are so low in the Philippines, labor and occupancy costs are low, too. We can employ and accommodate fully qualified, very experienced content moderators in the Philippines to grow your team for up to 70% less than you’d pay in your local employment market. That’s why outsourcing your content moderation just makes good business sense!
Tips for employing content moderators in the Philippines
- It takes 4-6 weeks to hire a content moderator in the Philippines.
- You’ll be surprised how fresh graduates or even those at college level do well as a content moderator.
- Normally, companies conduct their own content moderation training.
- The indicators of a good content moderator are:
- Exposure to various social media channels
- Active in online communities
- Keen attention to details
- Multi-tasking ability.
- Depending on the volume of content to be processed daily, content moderators may be part of a team – a mix of junior to senior levels – reporting to a Lead Moderator or Webmaster.
Frequently Asked Questions
Your outsourced content moderator can be up and running in as little as six to eight weeks when you outsource through MicroSourcing. From discussing the requirements and qualifications required of your content moderator(s), to assigning your new team member their very first task, MicroSourcing can help meet your requirements. Keep in mind, if you require a larger team of content moderators, then our talent acquisition team may require additional time for the extra recruitment, training and onboarding needed to establish your qualified, offshore team.
Outsourcing to the Philippines can result in significant cost savings of up to 70%. Here at MicroSourcing, we offer a monthly fee to help reduce overheads and allow you to focus on scaling and growing your business. Included in the monthly fee is infrastructure, recruitment and training, security, staff benefits and management.
Successful content moderator skills include:
- Online community exposure and experience
- Multi-platform savviness and understanding
- Linguistic experience
- A high attention to detail and keen eye for errors
- Good communication and time management.
A higher education degree or certificate in marketing or communications is desirable to succeed as a content moderator.
MicroSourcing’s talent acquisition team works just as an in-house recruitment team would. They screen, interview and test candidates to ensure they meet the needs and requirements as illustrated in your position descriptions. With over 10 years of experience pioneering a new way of offshoring, MicroSourcing’s expertise is backed by being one of the largest and most experienced offshoring providers in the Philippines - so quality is not a concern.
With a dedicated management team on the ground, working one-on-one with your staff in the Philippines, MicroSourcing has 192+ talented staff in operations who keep the communication between your business and your offshore team streamlined. We also have operational departments that help your employees function efficiently and productively.
Sample content moderator profiles
- Proficient in DoubleClick Studio, YT Country Switch, Stoplight Tool, Firebug, Chaos crystal, Wireshark and Digital Color Meter
- Functional testing
- Manual testing
- User acceptance testing (UAT)
- Black box testing
- Quality assurance
- Senior Process Executive (Content Moderator)
- Jr. Quality Assurance Specialist
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload
- Experience in ensuring all content is fit for general public consumption
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and results-oriented
- Microsoft Office
- Content Moderator
- Quality Analyst (Document Review)
Interested in recruiting team(s) in the Philippines?
Since our inception in 2006, MicroSourcing has become one of the biggest providers of offshoring solutions in the Philippines. We can help you build a dedicated team in the Philippines, regardless of the roles and level of specialization you require. MicroSourcing is 100% owned by the Probe CX, one of Australia’s fastest growing offshoring solution and customer engagement firms. So, it’s safe to say we’re experts in outsourcing to the Philippines.
Call +1 888-731-0023 today or send us an email to discuss your company’s offshoring needs.
HIPAA & PCI DSS compliant