Looking into outsourcing graphic design? The Philippines is the perfect place to find skilled designers to grow your marketing or product development team.
Your company’s brand identity needs to be strong and well-coordinated across your business. These days, it’s essential that your website, social media, brochures, store signage and packaging all work together. If you’re not a design whiz yourself, you need a graphic designer to pull everything together for you, and make your brand identity sing to your customers.
The general description of a graphic designer’s role is to prepare visual presentations by designing art and copy layouts. In detail, the role involves the following:
- Preparing work by gathering a client brief plus visual information and materials.
- Planning design concepts by studying obtained information and materials.
- Illustrating concepts by designing rough layouts of art and copy (including arrangement, size, type size and style, and related aesthetic concepts).
- Obtaining approval of design concepts by submitting a rough layout, then preparing the final layout by marking and pasting up finished copy and art.
Common uses of graphic design include corporate design (logos and branding), editorial design (magazines, newspapers and books), advertising, web design, product design and signage.
In recent years, graphic designers in the Philippines have caught up with the emerging trends and technologies relating, largely due to the demands of local and international companies. Filipinos have a very Western, clean and modern design sense, unlike many other Asian outsourcing destinations, where local customs and tastes often result in design that Western cultures would consider over the top or too colorful.
Today, graphic design is one of the most in-demand occupations for small and medium businesses, and a role that’s exceptionally well suited to offshoring.
Graphic designer qualifications and experience
In 2017, there were 4,100 Filipino graduates in the field of Fine and Applied Arts. This represents an increase of 39% from 2016 and it is expected to steadily grow in the years to come.
These graduates are highly-employable as the majority have been immersed in actual projects during their internships with various companies, which is a requirement to finish their degree.
It’s important to note that this number does not take into account the graphic designers who are graduates of certificate or diploma courses from specialty creative design schools and institutions. These specialty schools offer extensive courses in Advanced CSS, Advertising Creatives, Design Capstone Project, Advertising Design, After Effects, among other courses relating to graphic design.
There are 3 broad levels of graphic designers, based on their years of experience:
Junior – Junior graphic designers are anywhere from fresh graduates with extensive training or internship experience, and up to 11 months of working experience.
Intermediate – If a graphic designer has 1-3 years of relevant experience, they’re considered to be intermediate.
Senior – Senior graphic designers in the Philippines have 3+ years of relevant experience.
Graphic designing tools
The following tools are commonly used by Filipino graphic designers:
Some companies may require experience in using Corel DRAW tools but this is less common in local graphic designers.
These tools are commonly used for web design:
- Visual CSS tools
Save up to 70% on labor and occupancy costs
Because living costs are so low in the Philippines, labor and occupancy costs are too. We can employ and accommodate fully qualified, very experienced graphic designers for your team in the Philippines for up to 70% less than you’d pay in your local employment market. That’s why it just makes good business sense to outsource graphic design to the Philippines.
Tips for employing Filipino graphic designers
- It usually takes 4-6 weeks to hire a graphic designer in the Philippines.
- Graphic designers have average communication skills, so they may not display the same conversational English skills as a customer service agent would.
- Graphic designers are individual contributors but are used to collaborating with a team for a project. They usually report to a lead graphic designer, marketing manager or a project manager.
- In order to assess the proficiency of a graphic designer on a particular tool or platform, we recommend getting them to complete a practical test, in addition to the interview and portfolio review.
Top 4 universities for graphic designers
Based on our hiring experience, these 4 colleges and universities produce good quality graphic artists:
Usually graphic designers graduate from one of the following degrees:
- Multimedia Arts
- Fine Arts
- Visual Communication
- Art Education
Sample graphic designer profiles
- Graphics Design
- Computer Hardware
- Adobe Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, Flash CS6, Dreamweaver CS6 and Expression Web
- Twitter Bootstrap (Responsive Web Design)
- Video Editing using Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premiere
- 3D Modeling, Rendering and Animation
- Web/Graphics/ Multimedia Designer
- Web Designer / Graphic Artist
- Adobe Photoshop CS2, Adobe Image Ready CS2, Macromedia Fireworks 8, Flash 8 and Dreamweaver 8
- Designing Banners, Logos, Flyers, and Brochures
- Web & Graphic Designer
- ADOBE Premiere
- ADOBE InDesign
- ADOBE Illustrator
- Multimedia Designer
- Graphic Designer
Want a graphic designer – or team of designers – in the Philippines?
Since our inception in 2006, MicroSourcing has become one of the biggest managed operations providers in the Philippines. With over 4,000 employees, 7 delivery centers and close to 200 clients, we can help you build a dedicated team of graphic designers in the Philippines, regardless of the roles and level of specialization you require. We have close to 4,000 graphic designers in our candidate database, and we’ve employed more than 240 graphic designers for our clients since 2006.
Ready to outsource graphic design to the Philippines? Call 1800 250 841 +63 2 34371000 +44 800 756 3742 +1 866 643 0830 today or send us an email to discuss your company’s graphic design needs. You’ll have your offshore graphic designer(s) up and running in as little as 4 weeks.
HIPAA & PCI DSS compliant