Looking for a remote technical support specialist in the Philippines? Or planning to build an entire tech support team? Here’s what you need to know…
When the BPO industry first emerged, more than 20 years ago, customer service was one of the first services offshored by pioneering companies in the US, Australia, Europe and Canada. And tech support wasn’t far behind.
Thanks to the cultural, language and work-ethic compatibility of the Filipino people, businesses found that after providing training in their particular technology or product, they could satisfactorily offshore the majority of tech support roles to the Philippines.
And the demand for remote tech support specialists has only increased since then. According to the IBPAP report, in 2014 there were close to 600,000 BPO employees involved in customer service and technical support (voice), and nearly 72,000 employees were supporting pure IT processes. These numbers have increased by approximately 36% since then.
Technical support specialists experience
Today, Filipino technical support specialists are known for their ability to expertly support both IT infrastructure (hardware) and IT software.
Naturally the level of expertise varies with experience. Technical support specialists normally progress from entry level to subject matter experts, and this progression is often accelerated by their employers, who provide dedicated technical upskill training for candidates ready to move to the next level.
Has knowledge and experience supporting a wider range of products or technologies. Tier 3 tech support specialists are considered subject matter experts who can handle escalations and, in some cases, also business-to-business (B2B) transactions.
Some technical support specialists specialize in one product or technology, which for some clients is preferable in the beginning, although the role evolves over time.
Technical support tools
Technical support specialists tend to use tools that are developed internally by their employers – customer relationship management (CRM) tools, ticketing, incident reporting systems, and so on. Employers provide comprehensive training on the use of these tools, as well as communication platforms (e.g. phone hardware, chat and email) during onboarding training. As remote tech support specialists, they primarily work with applications in the cloud so they can support you (and your customers) no matter where you’re located.
Save up to 70% on labor and occupancy costs
Because living costs are so low in the Philippines, labor and occupancy costs are too. We can employ and accommodate fully qualified, very experienced technical support specialists for your team in the Philippines for up to 70% less than you’d pay in your local employment market. It’s why hiring a remote tech support specialist in the Philippines just makes good business sense.
Tips for employing Filipino technical support specialists
- It usually takes 5-7 weeks to hire a technical support specialist.
- Technical support specialists have average communication skills compared to customer service agents, as they often communicate instructions and troubleshooting steps.
- Technical support for mobile, internet and cable services is quite common in the market, and most people with those skills are at Tier 1 or Tier 2 level.
- Tech support specialists enjoy learning new things and value employer training very highly.
- A team of technical support specialists typically report to a team leader. The team leader should be a subject matter expert in the technology being supported and they would normally also handle escalations as necessary.
Top 5 universities for technical support specialists
Since today’s generation is very tech-savvy and highly-adaptive, an IT degree is no longer required to become a successful technical support specialist. Nevertheless, the number of Filipino IT graduates is growing and big BPO companies are employing them straight from college, as this makes it much easier to provide technology training.
According to the Commission on Higher Education, more than 70,000 Filipinos graduate with an IT degree every year. These are top schools producing IT graduates.
Sample technical support specialist profiles
- Internet phone and television configuration
- Troubleshoot equipment such as routers, PC, power supply unit, cable boxes and DVRs, access point devices
- PC remote access to customers personal computer for easy troubleshooting
- Webmail and client emails configuration.
- Technical Support Tier 2
- Team Manager Trainee
- Retention Specialist
- Computer Networking
- Database Management
- Point-of-Sales (POS) configuration
- Technical Support
- Technical Support Specialist
- Printer technician
- Computer Troubleshooting And Repair
- Computer Encoding
- Computer Assembling
- Network Configuration
- CCTV, DVR, NVR and PC Based (Installation, Configuration and Repair)
- PBX/VoIP Configuration
- Biometrics and Access Control
- Cloud Configuration
- Technical Support and Implementation
- Technical Support Specialist
- IT Technician
Want a remote tech support specialist – or team of specialists – in the Philippines?
Since our inception in 2006, MicroSourcing has become one of the biggest managed operations providers in the Philippines. With over 4,000 employees, 7 delivery centers and close to 200 clients, we can help you build a dedicated team in the Philippines, regardless of the roles and level of specialization you require. We have more than 13,000 technical support specialists in our candidate database, and we’ve employed more than 160 remote tech support specialists for our clients since 2011.
Ready to grow your remote tech support specialist team in the Philippines? Call 1800 250 841 +63 2 34371000 +44 800 756 3742 +1 866 643 0830 today or send us an email to discuss your company’s technical support needs. You’ll have your offshore technical support specialist(s) up and running in as little as 5 weeks.
HIPAA & PCI DSS compliant