Looking into outsourcing web development in the Philippines? You’re in the right place. You can find talented individuals or build an entire team of developers to support your marketing and product development. But before you hire, here’s what you need to know about web developers in the Philippines…
Your website is the public face of your business, and it’s your 24/7 salesperson, so it needs to be rock solid. While a well-built website may look simple to untrained people, building a website when you have little or no web developing skills can be a very painful experience.
Whether you’re looking to build a brand new website, or improve and maintain your existing site, having your own dedicated web developer means your business has full control over your online presence.
There are 3 kinds of web developer specializations:
Front-end: Specializes in visuals and behavior that run in the user’s browser.
Back-end: Works on the database and server-side aspects of the site.
Full-stack: Deal with both front-end and back-end.
Book a Free Consultation
Want a web developer – or a team of developers – in the Philippines?
In the 2014 IBPAP report, there were close to 75,000 workers in the information technology segment of the BPO industry; this segment comprises web developers, software developers, game developers, mobile application developers, and other roles involved in software and website development.
This number has grown a great deal in the last 4 years and the demand for talented web developers outside the BPO industry has also increased.
Web developer qualifications and experience
Local web developers in the Philippines are broadly categorized by years of experience, whether front-end, back-end or full-stack:
- Junior: Less than 1 year of web development experience
- Intermediate: 1-3 years of web development experience
- Senior: 3+ years of web development experience.
Web developer tools
Any web developer would know the following basics: HTML, CSS, scripting and one or more programming languages such as PHP, .Net, c#.Net, etc. While there are many available software programs for web development, these basic skills are necessary to utilize them.
Some website builders enable construction of websites without manual code editing. The commonly used programs are:
Though not as common, more and more website builders are using open-source tools such as Node.js, AngularJS, Bootstrap and jQuery.
Testing and debugging code is also part of the process of web development. Tools for such depends on the browser being used (Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc) as each would have their own set of development tools.
Save up to 70% on labor and occupancy costs
Because living costs are so low in the Philippines, labor and occupancy costs are low too. We can employ and accommodate fully qualified, very experienced web developers in the Philippines to grow your team for up to 70% less than you’d pay in your local employment market. It’s why outsourcing web development to the Philippines just makes good business sense.
Tips for employing Filipino web developers
- It takes 7-10 weeks to hire a web developer in the Philippines.
- If you require a less common programming language or very particular tool expertise, you can expect a higher variance in salary and turnaround time to hire.
- Full-stack developers are emerging profiles in the market, as the older generation of web developers who were either front-end or back-end are starting to learn and specialize in both.
- Team leaders and managers are expected to be experienced in web/software development project management methodologies such as Scrum, Agile, Kanban, Waterfall, XP and more.
- Senior developers tend to have worked with older technologies and are less hands-on, since they would have some form of supervising duties already.
- If you’re looking for someone with knowledge of a relatively new technology in web development, consider junior to intermediate developers (they are also the hungrier ones in terms of learning and enhancing their skills).
- When you outsource web development to the Philippines, you can expect candidates who are average English speakers, and they do not have the same proficiency as the usual customer service or call center agents who are directly interacting with customers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Your outsourced web developer can be up and running in as little as seven to 10 weeks when you outsource through MicroSourcing; completely dependent on the technical skill requirement of your web developer. From discussing the qualifications desired of your developer(s), to assigning your new team member their very first task, MicroSourcing can help meet your web development demands. Keep in mind, if you require a larger team of web developers, then our talent acquisition team may require additional time for the extra recruitment, training and onboarding needed to establish your qualified, offshore team.
Outsourcing to the Philippines can result in significant cost savings of up to 70%. Here at MicroSourcing, we offer a monthly fee to help reduce overheads and allow you to focus on scaling and growing your business. Included in the monthly fee is infrastructure, recruitment and training, security, staff benefits and management.
Successful web developer skills include:
- Depending on the requirements:
- Front-end, user-facing development
- Back-end, server-side development
- Or both as a full-stack web developer
- Problem-solving and technical literacy skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to combine web design with coding
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
A higher education degree or certificate in one of the following is desirable:
- Information technology
- Web development
MicroSourcing’s talent acquisition team works just as an in-house recruitment team would. They screen, interview and test candidates to ensure candidates meet the needs and requirements as illustrated in your role briefs. With over 10 years of experience pioneering a new way of offshoring, MicroSourcing’s expertise is backed by being one of the largest and most experienced offshoring providers in the Philippines - so quality is not a concern.
With a dedicated management team on the ground, working one-on-one with your employees in the Philippines, MicroSourcing has 192+ talented staff in operations who keep the communication between your business and your offshore team streamlined. We also have operational departments that help your employees function efficiently and productively.
Sample web developer profiles
- CSS and SASS
- MySQL and Microsoft SQL
- Basic SEO
- Arduino programming
- Quality assurance testing
- WordPress Developer
- Java Programmer
- Software Test Engineer
- Web Scripting: AngularJS, JQuery and JS
- Web Designs: JSP, Grails, JSTL, HTML5 and CSS
- PL: Java, Groovy and Grails
- ORM: Hibernate, MyBatis, Cayenne, Framework: Spring, Struts2 and Servlet
- DB: IBM DB2, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL and VFP
- Java Developer
- Junior Programmer
Interested in recruiting team(s) in the Philippines?
Since our inception in 2006, MicroSourcing has become one of the biggest providers of offshoring solutions in the Philippines. We can help you build a dedicated team in the Philippines, regardless of the roles and level of specialization you require. MicroSourcing is 100% owned by the Probe Group, one of Australia’s fastest growing offshoring solution and customer engagement firms. So, it’s safe to say we’re experts in outsourcing to the Philippines.
Call +1 888-731-0023 today or send us an email to discuss your company’s offshoring needs.
HIPAA & PCI DSS compliant