Civil engineering services can be broken down into two categories:
- Civil engineers responsible for designing and consulting project managers or clients on project plans and drafts, and
- Civil engineers responsible for working on-site with contractors to keep an eye on the physical construction.
Both share a common objective; to ensure infrastructure builds' success. The types of things projects civil engineers work on include but are not limited to bridges, airports, roads, mines, ports, factories, harbors, irrigation, sewerage and water supply systems.
Civil engineering has many sub-disciplines, including site, coastal, construction, earthquake, environmental, forensic, geotechnical, material science, structural, transportation, urban or municipal and water resources engineering. Civil engineers do not need to specialize in a sub-discipline, but depending on project needs, construction and engineering businesses may seek civil engineers with experience in these areas to provide specialized support.
The global civil engineering market was valued at USD $7.74 trillion in 2020 and has a compound annual growth rate of 5.7% from 2021 to 2028¹. This can be attributed to rapid industrialization and urbanization trends in emerging economies combined with the growth and development of high-quality infrastructure requirements globally.
To keep up with this anticipated growth, construction and engineering companies need to identify ways to keep employment costs low without jeopardizing quality. A solution; outsourcing.
A large number of civil engineering tasks can be completed digitally, which makes them well-suited to an offshore environment. As long as your business is offshore ready, outsourcing civil engineers to the Philippines is simple and cost-effective.
Book a Free Consultation
Want a Civil Engineer – or a team of Civil Engineers – outsourced in the Philippines?
What are the benefits of outsourcing civil engineers?
Cost savings:By hiring offshore civil engineers to support your local team with repetitive and time-consuming drafting tasks for a fraction of the price, due to the lower living costs in the Philippines, you can save up to 70% when compared to hiring locally.
Increase in output efficiency and quality levels:Sending routine civil engineering tasks to an offshore team in the Philippines means your onshore team will have more time, budget and project scope to take on higher value work. Your business will notice a drastic increase in productivity levels within your construction and engineering services.
Business growth and scaling opportunities:When you send your time-consuming tasks to an offshore civil engineer in the Philippines, your local team will have more time to focus on increasing profits and business growth and development opportunities. The additional capacity that your onshore team gets from your offshore team's support means you can grow your business sustainably.
What qualifications, skills and experience make a successful civil engineer?
An understanding and knowledge of science are fundamental in civil engineering roles. Due to the technical nature of the role, knowledge of physics, chemistry, biology and computer science is crucial to provide the level of support required in projects. A thorough understanding of mathematical principles such as algebra, calculus, trigonometry, geometry and in some specializations, statistics is crucial. Excellent written and verbal communications skills will ensure that civil engineers can communicate with various stakeholders, from internal high-level project managers to staff onsite.
In terms of qualifications and education, a degree or certificate in civil engineering is a must. Some civil engineers may choose to specialize or major in specific areas within their degrees, such as transportation, structural, environmental or geotechnical. It completely depends on the engineering career path they wish to pursue.
- Graduate or junior: less than 3 years of civil engineering experience or recently graduated with a civil engineering qualification. Tasks completed could include managing project resources conducting feasibility studies, cost management and shadowing intermediate/senior civil engineers.
- Intermediate: 3-5 years of civil engineering experience. Tasks completed could include analyzing survey reports to plan projects, inspecting project sites to monitor progress and conformance with project specifications.
- Senior: 5-10+ years of experience in civil engineering. Tasks completed could include oversight of the design and building of projects, reporting project progress to key stakeholders and negotiating major contractor agreements. Senior civil engineers might pursue careers in project management or senior project oversight roles.
What tools and systems do civil engineers need to be successful in their roles?
Civil engineers heavily rely on computer systems and surveying equipment to design and manage projects. It is all dependent on the function or area of the project they are required to work on. They may be required to use surveying tools, tools for testing concrete, sand, soil or water quality of an area, highway construction tools and metrics and there are also different tools to use for high-rise buildings.
In terms of software tools and systems, there are countless, but here are a few key platforms:
Tips for employing Filipino civil engineers
- Your civil engineers must know the systems and software your business uses to provide the best level of support for your onshore construction and engineering team.
- Ensure that you let your talent acquisition team in the Philippines know the size of projects and plans your ideal offshore civil engineer will be working on. By employing an offshore team member who has had experience working on similar project sizes, they will be familiar with communication lines and better understand timelines and expectations.
- You can recruit as many civil engineers as required from project to project and can even hire senior civil engineers or project managers in the Philippines to manage your offshore teams. If/when you grow your offshore team to several staff, having one team lead can ensure streamlined communication and project updates are effectively delivered to your onshore team.
1 Civil Engineering Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Services (Planning & Design, Construction), By Application (Real Estate, Infrastructure), By Customers (Govt., Private), By Region, And Segment Forecasts, 2021 - 2028
Interested in recruiting team(s) in the Philippines?
Since our inception in 2006, MicroSourcing has become one of the biggest providers of offshoring solutions in the Philippines. We can help you build a dedicated team in the Philippines, regardless of the roles and level of specialization you require. MicroSourcing is backed by our parent company, Probe CX, one of Australia’s fastest-growing offshoring solution and customer engagement firms. So, it’s safe to say we’re experts in outsourcing to the Philippines.
Call +1 888-731-0023 today or send us an email to discuss your company’s offshoring needs.
HIPAA & PCI DSS compliant