Project managers within the construction and engineering industry are responsible for leading, overseeing and planning projects from conception to completion. They are specialists in coordinating the development of new designs and products and determining project labor costs. They liaise with contractors, subcontractors, internal shareholders and departments to ensure projects are completed in budget, within given scope and on time.
Project managers can be responsible for a wide range of projects, differing in value and size. Some project managers work across a portfolio of projects, where others can work on single, larger scale projects. They can also be called Program Managers. The role name itself is open to interpretation and is often different depending on the business.
The global project portfolio management market was valued at $4.2 billion in 2019. It is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 13.4% from 2020 to 2027¹. The adoption of cloud-based services to remotely monitor projects is the key market factor driving these forecasts.
To keep up with this anticipated growth, construction and engineering companies need to identify ways to keep employment costs low without jeopardizing quality. A solution; outsourcing.
Many project management tasks can be completed digitally, which makes them well-suited to an offshore environment. As long as your business is offshore ready, outsourcing project managers to the Philippines is simple and cost-effective.
Book a Free Consultation
Want a Construction Project Manager – or a team of Construction Project Managers – outsourced in the Philippines
What are the benefits of outsourcing project managers?
Cost savings:By hiring offshore project managers to support your local team with repetitive and time-consuming tasks for a fraction of the price, due to the lower living costs in the Philippines, you can save up to 70% when compared to hiring locally.
Increase in output efficiency and quality levels:Sending routine project management tasks to an offshore team in the Philippines means your onshore team will have more time, budget and project scope to take on higher value work. Your business will notice a drastic increase in productivity levels within your construction and engineering services.
Business growth and scaling opportunities:When you send your time-consuming tasks to an offshore project managers in the Philippines, your local team will have more time to focus on increasing profits and business growth and development opportunities. The additional capacity that your onshore team gets from your offshore team's support means you can grow your business sustainably.
What qualifications, skills and experience make a successful project manager?
The most important skill a project manager needs to have is leadership. They are responsible for leading teams to a common project goal. From motivating junior engineers or project assistants to mediating issues between contractors and project schedules, management, quite literally, is in their position title. Traits that amplify those key leadership skills include communication, scheduling, negotiating, organization and cost management.
In terms of qualifications and education, a degree or certificate in engineering is desirable so that project managers understand the technical and hands-on aspects of the roles that will be reporting to them. From a management perspective, diplomas and certificates in project management can be seen as an asset.
There isn't any particular timeline or career path for a project manager, given the number of specialisms and pathways available to these positions.
A broad overview of a typical project management career path within the construction and engineering field could look something like this:
What tools and systems do project managers need to be successful in their roles?
Many construction and engineering businesses use in-house project management software. External tools and systems that project managers within the industry might use include:
Tips for employing Filipino project managers
- Your project managers must know the systems and software your business uses to provide the best level of support for your onshore construction and engineering team.
- Ensure that you let your talent acquisition team in the Philippines know the size of projects and plans your ideal offshore project managers will be working on. By employing an offshore team member who has had experience working on similar project sizes, they will be familiar with communication lines and better understand timelines and expectations.
- You can recruit as many project managers as required from project to project and can even hire senior project managers in the Philippines to manage your offshore teams. If/when you grow your offshore team to several staff, having one team lead can ensure streamlined communication and project updates are effectively delivered to your onshore team.
1 Project Portfolio Management Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Offering (Software, Service), By Deployment (Cloud, On-premise), By Enterprise Size, By End Use, By Region, And Segment Forecasts, 2020 - 2027
Sample project managers profiles
- Able to effectively lead and manage a team
- Motivating junior engineers or project assistants
- Ensuring projects are completed in a timely fashion and within budget
- Liaising with key stakeholders on progress of projects
- Coordinating staff and internal resources
- Project Manager
- Programme Manager
- Mediating issues between contractors and project schedules
- Effective communication and negotiation skills
- Designate project resources
- Develop detailed project plans
- Senior Project Officer
- Project and Programme Manager
Interested in recruiting team(s) in the Philippines?
Since our inception in 2006, MicroSourcing has become one of the biggest providers of offshoring solutions in the Philippines. We can help you build a dedicated team in the Philippines, regardless of the roles and level of specialization you require. MicroSourcing is 100% owned by the Probe CX, one of Australia’s fastest growing offshoring solution and customer engagement firms. So, it’s safe to say we’re experts in outsourcing to the Philippines.
Call +1 888-731-0023 today or send us an email to discuss your company’s offshoring needs.
HIPAA & PCI DSS compliant