Structural engineers are responsible for ensuring physical structures maintain their integrity and withstand the loads or forces they encounter. Examples of such structures that fall under structural engineering jurisdictions include buildings, bridges and tunnels. They are wholly responsible for ensuring that these structures can survive against factors such as earthquakes. They are also responsible for improving upon existing structures. Structural engineering is a specialism of civil engineering.
The outsourced structural engineering software market is expected to reach USD 871.84 billion by 2026, with a compound annual growth rate of 8.70% between 2019 - 20261. This can be attributed to the rising demand for an eco-friendly workplace such as remote work and technological advancements and developments within the construction and engineering industry.
To keep up with this anticipated growth, construction and engineering companies need to identify ways to keep employment costs low without jeopardizing quality. A solution; outsourcing.
A large majority of structural engineering tasks can be completed digitally, which makes them well-suited to an offshore environment. As long as your business is offshore ready, outsourcing site estimators to the Philippines is simple and cost-effective.
Book a Free Consultation
Want a Structural Engineer – or a team of Structural Engineers – outsourced in the Philippines?
What are the benefits of outsourcing structural engineers?
Cost savings:By hiring offshore structural engineers to support your local team with repetitive and time-consuming drafting tasks for a fraction of the price, due to the lower living costs in the Philippines, you can save up to 70% when compared to hiring locally.
Increase in output efficiency and quality levels:Sending routine structural engineering tasks to an offshore team in the Philippines means your onshore team will have more time, budget and project scope to take on higher value work. Your business will notice a drastic increase in productivity levels within your construction and engineering services.
Business growth and scaling opportunities:When you send your time-consuming tasks to an offshore structural engineers in the Philippines, your local team will have more time to focus on increasing profits and business growth and development opportunities. The additional capacity that your onshore team gets from your offshore team's support means you can grow your business sustainably.
What qualifications, skills and experience make a successful structural engineer?
Many construction and engineering projects require a strong grasp of physics and 3D conceptual skills. Structural engineers must be able to solve problems that are challenging and technical in nature. These solutions require creative thinking skills and require an understanding of the different kinds of structural materials and systems on hand from project to project. They must have a mathematical and analytical mindset and soft skills such as leadership and strong interpersonal communication abilities to liaise with different stakeholders' levels.
A degree or certificate in civil engineering should be accompanied by a nominated specialization or major in structural engineering in terms of qualifications and education required.
Structural engineering roles can be categorized by years of working experience:
- Graduate or junior: less than 4 years of structural engineering experience. Tasks completed could include preparing bids for tenders, preparing progress reports for stakeholders and creating designs using project software.
- Intermediate: 5-9 years of structural engineering experience. Tasks completed could include considering the strength of materials, calculating pressures appropriately and obtaining planning or building regulation approvals.
- Senior: 10+ years of experience in structural engineering. Tasks completed could include leading the design process, design reviews, submissions and delivery and creating budget and scopes of work.
What tools and systems do structural engineers need to be successful in their roles?
Structural engineers use software constantly to assist in tracking costs, identifying and collating historical data to anticipate future project costs and keep track of contracts or tenders. These platforms include:
Tips for employing Filipino structural engineers
- Your structural engineers must know the systems and software your business uses to provide the best level of support for your onshore construction and engineering team.
- Ensure that you let your talent acquisition team in the Philippines know the size of projects and plans your ideal offshore structural engineers will be working on. By employing an offshore team member who has had experience working on similar project sizes, they will be familiar with communication lines and better understand timelines and expectations.
- You can recruit as many structural engineers as required from project to project and can even hire senior structural engineers or project managers in the Philippines to manage your offshore teams. If/when you grow your offshore team to several staff, having one team lead can ensure streamlined communication and project updates are effectively delivered to your onshore team.
1 The Global Construction Estimating Software Market is expected to grow from USD 1,039.16 Million in 2019 to USD 1,884.81 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 10.43%
Sample structural engineer profiles
- Creative thinking skills
- An understanding of the different kinds of structural materials and systems used on various projects
- A mathematical and analytical mindset
- Preparing bids for tenders
- Creating designs using project software
- Structural Engineer
- Junior Structural Engineer
- Considering the strength of materials to calculate pressures appropriately
- Obtaining planning or building regulation approvals
- Design reviews and submissions
- Create budget and scopes of work
- Senior Structural Engineer
- Structural Engineer
Interested in recruiting team(s) in the Philippines?
Since our inception in 2006, MicroSourcing has become one of the biggest providers of offshoring solutions in the Philippines. We can help you build a dedicated team in the Philippines, regardless of the roles and level of specialization you require. MicroSourcing is backed by our parent company, Probe CX, one of Australia’s fastest-growing offshoring solution and customer engagement firms. So, it’s safe to say we’re experts in outsourcing to the Philippines.
Call +1 888-731-0023 today or send us an email to discuss your company’s offshoring needs.
HIPAA & PCI DSS compliant